| ||1 || cup soy milk |
| ||1 || tsp. apple cider vinegar |
| ||1¼ || cups all-purpose flour |
| ||2 || Tbsp. cornstarch |
| ||¾ || tsp. baking powder |
| ||½ || tsp. baking soda |
| ||¼ || tsp. salt (increase salt to ½ teaspoon if you’re using oil instead of margarine) |
| ||½ || cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or ⅓ cup canola oil |
| ||¾ || cup sugar |
| ||2 || tsp. vanilla extract |
| ||¼ || tsp. almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract |
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.
- If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. (Don’t beat past 2 minutes.) Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
- If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.
Copyright © 2006 Marlowe & Company