For the cheesecakes:
| ||2 || packages (8-ounce) cream cheese (use only full fat), at room temperature |
| ||¾ || cup sugar |
| ||3 || Tbsp. cornstarch |
| ||1 || Tbsp. pure vanilla extract |
| ||2 || extra-large eggs |
| ||⅓ || cup heavy or whipping cream |
| ||1 || tsp. grated lime rind |
For the lime mousse:
| ||1 || recipe Decorator’s Whipped Cream |
| ||¼ || cup frozen limeade concentrate, thawed just until spoonable |
| ||1 to 2 || drops green food coloring (optional) |
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 standard muffin cups with silicone, foil, parchment, or paper liners.
- Put one package of the cream cheese, ¼ cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl a few times. Blend in the remaining package of cream cheese. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat in the remaining ½ cup sugar, then the vanilla. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each one. Beat in the cream just until it’s completely blended. Be careful not to overmix! Stir in the lime rind.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Place the muffin tin in a large shallow pan and add hot water until it comes about 1 inch up the sides of the tin. Bake the cakes until set and the centers are slightly puffy and golden, about 45 minutes. Remove the cakes from the water bath, transfer the tin to a wire rack, and let cool for 2 hours. Cover the cakes with plastic wrap (do not remove from the pan) and put in the freezer until cold, or at least 1 hour. Don’t worry if they settle a little in the center; you’ll be filling it with lime mousse.
- To remove the cakes, lift them out of the cups with your hands and peel off the liners. Place the cakes, top side up, on a serving platter or individual dessert plates.
- To make the lime mousse, make the Decorator’s Whipped Cream, then stir in the limeade concentrate (it’s best if it’s still slightly frozen). Add the food coloring if you wish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Fit a pastry bag with a medium closed-star tip (#31) or a medium open-star tip (#32), pack it with the lime mousse, and pipe the lime mousse on top of each Little Fella, finishing each off with a “star” rosette on top [see how-to here]. Refrigerate until ready to serve. If there are any cakes left, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator, or wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.
Copyright @ 2007 Taunton Press