Dark, fudgy, and wonderful — what could be better?
| ||1 || cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the pan |
| ||¾ || cup unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus extra for flouring the pan |
| ||4 || oz. unsweetened chocolate |
| ||4 || eggs |
| ||1½ || cups sugar |
| ||1 || tsp. vanilla extract |
| ||⅔ || cup shelled walnuts, coarsely chopped |
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the top part of a double boiler over boiling water. When melted, set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored; add the vanilla. Fold the chocolate mixture into the eggs and sugar. Mix thoroughly.
- Sift the flour and fold gently into the batter, mixing just until blended. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake until the center is just set, 25 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before cutting into large bars.
Copyright © 1982 Workman Publishing