| ||1¼ || cups warm water (105 degrees) |
| ||¾ || stick (6 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly |
| ||6 || Tbsp. granulated sugar |
| ||~ || Two ¼-ounce packages active dry yeast (5 Tbsp. total) |
| ||3 || large eggs, beaten lightly |
| ||1½ || tsp. salt |
| ||¼ || cup powdered nonfat dry milk |
| ||5 to 6 || cups all-purpose flour |
| ||¼ || cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened |
| ||½ || cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling on the unbaked rolls |
| ||2 || Tbsp. ground cinnamon |
| ||3 || Tbsp. cardamom seeds, ground in a mortar with a pestle |
| ||1 || tsp. orange zest |
| ||1 || large egg, beaten |
| ||2 || Tbsp. water |
- In a large bowl, combine the water, butter, and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture and let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Stir in the eggs, salt, and dry milk until combined. With a wooden spoon stir in 5 cups of the flour, 1 cup at a time, and stir the mixture until a dough is formed.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 10 minutes, adding enough of the remaining 1 cup flour to make the dough smooth and elastic. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it to coat it with oil, and let it rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough. On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 15-by-20-inch rectangle. Spread the ½ stick butter over the dough and sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and orange zest.
- With a long side of the dough facing you, roll up the dough jelly-roll fashion and cut crosswise into approximately 1½-inch-thick slices. Twist each slice to form a figure eight and crimp the ends together.
- Arrange the rolls, a swirled side up, about 2 inches apart on a buttered baking sheet. Let rise in a warm place until increased 1½ times in bulk, about 1 hour.
- While the rolls are rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the egg and water to make the egg wash. Brush the tops of the rolls with the wash and sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Bake the rolls in middle of the oven until the tops are pale golden, about 25 minutes.