| ||½ || lb. penne pasta |
| ||3 to 4 || Tbsp. olive oil |
| ||¾ || lb. bulk spicy Italian sausage |
| ||4 || garlic cloves, chopped |
| ||1 || pt. basket cherry tomatoes, rinsed |
| ||1 || bunch kale, thick spines removed, leaves washed and chopped |
| ||½ || cup dry white wine |
| ||~ || Parmesan cheese, for garnish |
- In a large stockpot, put pasta water on to boil.
- Heat a tablespoon or so of the olive oil in a thick-bottomed pan on medium heat. Cook the sausage, breaking up any clumps, until cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a pan with high sides, heat the remaining olive oil and add the garlic. Sauté until the garlic begins to soften. Add the cherry tomatoes and turn up the heat; stir until their skins begin to blister and some juices emerge. Add the kale and white wine. Cover the pan and steam the kale for several minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- When the kale has gone limp, add the cooked sausage to the pan. Next, add the pasta and a handful of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot, in bowls.
The empty next