Swiss Chard and Mushroom Popover Bake
As posted on my blog, Grab a Plate
This popover recipe is a savory one. You’ll get one popover, not a dozen, but that’s okay because it’s a big popover. Perfect for brunch, lunch or even dinner, this recipe for Swiss Chard and Mushroom Popover Bake is easy to make, tasty, and gluten free. This was inspired by a Cooking Light recipe.
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Provolone cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the Swiss chard, garlic, and seasonings, and mix well for a few minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic).
- Remove the mixture from the heat and cover it.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking dish (you could also use a pie plate) with the nonstick cooking spray. Add the margarine and place the dish in the oven until the margarine melts, then remove it from the oven.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the garbanzo bean flour, milk and eggs.
- Pour the flour mixture into the baking dish and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until it becomes puffy and lightly browns.
- Spoon the Swiss chard mixture to the crust and sprinkle the Provolone cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.